Rio de Janeiro, 1912.After the Baronís death, the automobile - the only one of the four PROTOS
that we have notice - was transferred from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
to the Customs of the Capital, being sold, in 1916, to the Command of the
Police Brigade of the Federal Capital, today the Military Police of Rio de
At the Police Brigade, the PROTOS was of the exclusive use of Commander
Colonel PM Olympio Agobar de Oliveira, being used only in official
solemnities and in the daily itinerary from the commanderís residence to
the general headquarters.
Extremely zealous with the car, he maintained a complete team to care for
the PROTOS: a driver, a mechanic, a washer and two sentinels, one in
daytime, other at night. Unfortunately, after the Commander left, in 1918,
the PROTOS did not receive the same care. Six years later, it was
disativated, remaining in the headquartersí garage.
In april 1925, the director and founder of the National Historical Museum,
Gustavo Barroso, requests to the Police Brigade the vehicle that belonged
to such an illustrious brazilian. With no proof that the car had really
belonged to Baron of Rio Branco, his secretary, Josť Muniz de Arag„o, was
called. He confirms the fact and the PROTOS is transferred to the Museum in
july, the same year.
Today, the car is one of the only two of its kind remaining in the world.
The other one belongs to the Deutsches Museum, in Munich, Germany.